Thursday, December 15, 2011

I have a date!


Happy Thanksgiving!  Oh, wait…that was last month.


Gobble Gobble!

I probably should have posted something around Thanksgiving, but the holiday was a bit harder than I thought that it would be.  Being surrounded by family certainly helped – and provided lots of opportunities to people watch!   

For the past month I have been busy doing research, creeping around on CI forums, and asking lots of questions.  I figured that if and when the time came for me to decide on a processor, I’d be way ahead of the game.

Guess what?  I’m not.

Tuesday, December 13th was my evaluation.  I really was not expecting to get the green light so soon.  I thought there would be more hoops to jump through - more time off work, more appointments to schedule.  Instead, there was testing.  Lots of testing.  There were also voices in a box speaking Swahili.  I was supposed to let my Audiologist know what words I understand.

I scored 0% with no visual cues.  (And the voices were really in English, saying things such as: "She dropped the towel on the floor.")  

Several hours later, I walked out with a date.  (Not THAT kind of date!)

Mark your calendars:  
January 30, 2012
(This is also my mom's birthday!!)

The surgery itself should take about 2 ½ hours – total, for bilateral cochlear implants.  My surgeon even assured me that he’d try to make sure the implants are even.  Nothing beats having a surgeon that understands female vanity!  I should be discharged the same day with the Princess Leia wrap, pain meds, and a pretty bad headache.  Should make for some interesting FaceBook photo uploads!

~     ~     ~

With any surgery, there are risks from the general anesthesia.  
  • There is a slight chance of facial paralysis.  In order to prevent damage, nerve monitors will be placed on my face near my eyes, so when I wake up, I’ll most likely look like I was in a fist fight – and lost!
  • The risk of meningitis is increased in recipients of cochlear implants, so as a preventative measure I’ll need a pneumococcal vaccine at least two weeks prior to surgery. (Finding this vaccine is proving to be a daunting task.) 
  • Taste loss or altered taste is fairly common and usually only temporary – but it can be permanent. (I'm sure there are better ways to diet.) 
  • Dizziness is normal (or so I'm told!) for the first few days afterwards – so I’ll be taking a full week off from work.  (This is probably one of the only times that I won't try to work while on "vacation".)  



DECISIONS DECISIONS


I also need to decide which implant and processor I want to go with since I'll be living with this equipment for quite some time.  I’ve already ruled out Cochlear America.  They’ve had some issues lately with recalls and trust is a huge thing for me.

One down – two to go.  That leaves Advanced Bionics and Med EL.

Advanced Bionics (AB) and Med EL both have a lot to offer, which is making the decision a difficult one.




Advanced Bionics -


  •          Dual firing electrode array for more sound depth
  •          Neptune processor can be worn off the ear (in the hair, on the arm, or in a pocket AND can be used for swimming)
  •          T-Mic instead of basic T-Coil option
  •          Harmony BTE (behind the ear) model is water resistant
  •          2 microphones
  •          3 stored programs
  •          Upgradeable
  •          No remote control
  •          2 processors per ear (1 for use, one for backup )
  •          Partnered with Phonak (a leading hearing aid manufacturer)
  •         Cool skins to dress up the processor!
  •          HearingJourney forums and Listening Room for practicing…well…listening!
  •          Likelihood of retaining any residual hearing is very slim
Harmony Processor
Neptune - for water adventures!




~     ~     ~


This is the Opus2 w/Maestro and remote

Med EL
  •          Thinner, longer electrodes for deeper pitches
  •          A thin remote that works for both processors – no need to 2 remotes
  •          Upgradeable
  •          2 processors per ear (1 for use, one for backup )
  •          Comes in multiple colors!
  •          Thinnest processor on the market
  •          “Out the door” activation may provide more immediate understanding
  •          Moisture resistant
  •          50/50 chance of retaining some residual hearing (at least until the progressive loss snags it)
o   If I did manage to retain some hearing – I wouldn’t know for 4 – 6 weeks after the surgery




There are still some questions to ask and I won't lie and say that I'm not a bit nervous...but I'm excited about the possibilities.  After all, the possibilities are endless!

I'd love to hear your thoughts!

<3

8 comments:

  1. Wow, so amazing what can be done in our generation. I'm not sure which one would suit you better for your needs but they both seem great. I can't wait to see the outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those are great choices, a though choice, one that will change your life :).

    Being a fan of the water, I would definitely look into the water capabilities.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is no scientific basis to my opinion here, but having a chance to become an actual "bionic woman"??? Come on! That's pretty cool!

    Seriously, I will be crossing whatever fingers and toes are necessary to wish you luck in January.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mary - The whole process is rather amazing. A decade ago a cochlear implant just made someone a better lipreader. Now some people with implants can use the phone!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sue - I am 99.9% positive that I'm going to go with Advanced Bionics. The features just seem to fit my active lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bob - I had a Bionic Woman doll when we were kids. She was so cool! I wonder if I'll get my own sound effects once I have the surgery?! Now THAT would be awesome! :)

    If you could cross two fingers and three toes for me, I'd sure appreciate it! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kim, I know very well how tough the decisions are. Two of the deciding factors for me were... how much upgrade ability there was and of course the new waterproof Neptune. There were more reasons but these two clinched it for me. I wish you the best in whatever you decide! I look forward to following your progress. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Cris - I think the day after I posted this I made my decision. The Neptune fits my lifestyle and I like knowing that AB has partnered with Phonak (the maker of my HA's) - so the possibilities are really endless for our future hearing! I also looked at the support services. For so many years I've been looking for people to connect with who "get" what it is like to live in-between the Deaf culture and the Hearing world. I found that "home" at HJ! I'm so looking forward to joining the ranks as a CI-borg with you! :)

    ReplyDelete